Monday, January 11, 2010

Everything I Know About Chocolate I Learned Standing Over A Double Boiler


This blog is primary dedicated to dogs. However, I do have other (no-dog) interests, which in one way or another all comes full circle back around to the dogs.

Case in point... the last two days have been dedicated to slaving over a stove, melting and stirring chocolate. In my life BD (Before Dog), I was a chef. Most paid jobs were as a Garde Manger (cold line - salads, cold meats and cold prep), but I always had an interest in pastries and, especially chocolate. With my limited knowledge, I was unable to climb up to pastries - too much competition. I did luck into a pastry job in 2003, when a slot came open at very small French bakery in Raleigh. I was unemployed, and the owner took pity on me and gave me a chance. I earned a lot about doughs and pastries, but only a little about chocolate - and only from the standpoint of dipping pastries in it.

Since I wanted to learn about, I had to do my own research. Books were OK, but nothing compares to actually working with and experimenting with a product. Therefore, Everything I know about chox, I learned standing over a double boiler. Over about 6 years, I worked and played with recipes. I tweaked and twisted ideas. I have a few items that I am known for, the most famous being my truffles. I make a lot of truffles. I have many flavors and varieties in my repertoire. Yet, I have become bored with truffles, but I have not lost my love for chox.

The time has come for me to branch out into other chox confections. At the request of an old high school friend, I made peppermint bark (white chox with peppermint pieces). I quickly expanded to other chocolate varieties (dark, semi, milk) and "fillings" (nuts, candies...). I am very much enjoying this new venture into chocolate. I sort of renews my interest in it. As most of you who know me will understand, if I do not have something interesting to do or some outrageous goal to aspire to, I am not fully happy.

But I digress... the last two days have been dedicated to slaving over a stove, melting and stirring chocolate. I made Cannoli Truffles, Tuxedo (Dark and white chox) Bark with nuts and a white chocolate cheesecake. Thank you, David for sharing your recipe (and for inspiring me to blog!). These items are for tonight's potluck dinner at the Raleigh Kennel Club. See, I told you it always came back around to the dogs. :)

1 comment:

  1. Knowing you were a chef has now made me self conscious!

    But I guess I have more blogging years under my belt, so I'm confident on that score. Now, if you start posting more regularly than I (and really, how can you NOT given my recent pace) then you'll need to thank me no more.

    ReplyDelete